Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Scars and Thankfulness

I had an emergency abdominal surgery this past August and that led me into the hardest time of my life physically, to date.  After a few weeks of unremitting pain and exhaustion following the surgery, I had begun to wonder if I would ever feel normal again.  But, then, about five or six weeks into the recovery progress, I started to really feel much better.  By two months after the surgery, I felt basically normal again.  

It is now three months after the surgery, and all of my usual activities have resumed.  I am able to play Frisbee, drive a car, clean houses, dance, and even do crunches!  Most days it feels surreal to even think that three months ago, I was in debilitating pain and unable to leave the couch for even a couple of minutes.  

But then I see my scars.  

My scars are a reminder to stop and be thankful.  To remember where I had been, and to thank the Lord for His healing in my life.  I know that we often think of scars as painful reminders of difficult experiences that we have faced.  However, I think that it is equally necessary to see the hope in the scars:  they are reminders of difficult times, yes ... but they are difficult times that God brought us through!  

And the most important scars for which I am thankful are those that I never had to suffer.  On the cross, Jesus paid the physical as well as the spiritual penalty for my sin.  His body was beaten instead of mine, and His relationship with the Father was severed, as He received the wrath of God so that I wouldn't have to.  Now He is resurrected and glorified with the Father in Heaven.  However, even now, in His perfect body, He still bears scars that tell of His great obedience to His Father, and His great love for His people.  

Thank you, Lord, for scars! 

2 comments:

btckesb said...

Wonderful words to consider! And so much for which to be thankful!!

Love,
Dad

Caro said...

Thanks, Dad! :-) Amen! Whenever I sense that it is hard to be thankful, I am assured that the problem is entirely from within!

Love you!